Technology & Combat Characteristics
The current generation Kataphrakts were developed by the U.E. in the face of the Martian threat. The standard machine has limited hovering capability.
The KG-6 Sleipnir was the predecessor to the Areion, but now is relegated to being a training unit. The Areion boasts a thicker (and hence, heavier) armor than the Sleipnir, along with a larger power plant keeping the power to weight ratio the same while adding additional survivability.
Although it is Earth's most sophisticated mobile suit, it - along with practically everything else used by UEF - is woefully outclassed by the Martian Kataphrakts of the Vers Empire, each of which possesses individual special abilities, which enable them to destroy these mass-produced Areion units with ease. However, an advantage the Areion has over their Martian counterparts is the ability to be outfitted with various armaments to suit the requirements of different strategy, mission, and environment.
Special Equipment and Features
- A set of wings and small thrusters attached to both legs that grant the Areion limited hovering abilities. When active, the stabilizers open up into an "X" shaped array of wings on the either side of the legs. They can also be used as a shield, but the destruction of the stabilizers impairs the Areion's ability to fly and possibly its ability to walk and run as well.
Ground Force Load-out
- 75 mm Cannon with optional Grenade Launcher
- This bullpup automatic rifle serves as the Areion's main offensive armament and is equipped by every Areion unit. It is capable of switching between firing High Explosive (HE) or Armor-piercing (AP) rounds depending on the situation. The rifle can also be attached with an optional grenade launcher, mounted in front of the trigger and below the 75mm cannon. The grenade launcher can be used to fire traditional grenades for offensive purposes, or smoke grenades as a form of utility.
- A pistol is stored on the waist of the Areion and acts as its secondary CQC weapon of choice.
- A short tantō knife is stored in the backpack of the Sleipnir and acts as its main CQC weapon of choice. It is produced by "Clibanarius Defence Alternatives", a defense contractor for the United Forces of Earth.
- Grappling hook
- A grappling hook is stored in the wrist - similar to the Sleipnir - and is capable of holding the weight of the Kataphrakt.
- Recoil-less Cannon
- In space battles, Areions are equipped with high-caliber long-barrelled recoil-less cannons, which direct the back blast of rounds out the back of the weapon when fired. This served to keep the craft stationary, even when drifting in the middle of space. In battle they were capable of firing high-explosive rounds.
- Grappling Hooks
- The Areion can also be equipped with grappling hoops, allowing them to maneuver in the Satellite Belt.
Despite the long preparation, the KG-7 proved outclassed against their Martian counterparts. Significant numbers of KG-7s were destroyed within the first minutes of conflict. This mass-produced unit formed the mainstay of the UEF Kataphrakt forces and was all that kept the UFE fighting during the war. Despite their obvious obsolescence, they remained the UFE's workhorse for the rest of the war.
- The KG-7 Areion appears to be named after Arion from Greek Mythology.
- The wings on the back of the KG-7 Areion seem to be a simplified version of the wings on the KG-6 Sleipnir.
- The wing stabilizers on the upper leg bear a vague similarity to the Jump Units employed by the human Tactical Surface Fighters in the Muv Luv Unlimited and Alternative timelines. Both are mounted in the same general location, and both play a role is three-dimensional mobility of their parent machines. Like the TSFs, the Terran Kataphrakts suffer from a high casualty rate in battle.
- The OZ-06MS Leo from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing bear many similarities to the KG-7 Areion; both were the Earth faction's main mass-produced unit outclassed by the outer space force's more powerful machines.
- Furthermore, the KG-6 Sleipnir is reminiscent of the Leo Early Type, in which both were the first versions with less armor than the modern-day ones.