Technology & Combat Characteristics
- Vulcan 20 mm Cannon
- Internal ordnance bay capable of carrying various armaments including
- AIM-9X Sidewinder air-to-air missiles
- AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missiles
- AGM-65 Maverick air-to-ground missiles
- JDAM guided bombs
The F-22 Raptors were used in combat against the Vers Empire in the initial conflict after the start of Operation Earthfall; the Second Earth-Mars War, which was started by the assassination of Princess Asseylum Vers Allusia. The aircraft attached to Alpha Squad were sent to intercept the Landing Castle in New Orleans, but the aircraft were destroyed by the Solis that used its plasma beams to destroy the them.
Another squadron of F-22 Raptors was deployed to intercept the Sky Carrier carrying Nilokeras. Unfortunately, the missiles and cannon fire were intercepted by the Kataphrakt's dimensional barrier, and their F-22s were shot down by the aircraft's howitzer rounds. (AZ: "Beyond the Horizon")
- The "F-22 Raptor" is identical to the real world F-22 Raptor, except it has a black color scheme with purple engine exhaust.
- The F-22 is not seen again in the series, even though many Vers Empire Kataphrakts, particularly Argyre, which lacks any weapons capable of hitting aircraft, would theoretically be very vulnerable to aerial bombardment.
- Unlike the real world F-22 these aircraft can operate off of Aircraft Carriers.
- The F-7D Spearhead from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED bears many similarities to the F-22 Raptor.