Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Argyre is equipped with an Aldnoah Drive that allows for it to create two Blade Fields, "Beam Katana", which are plasma blades. It's shown to be very fast, and nimble despite its spindly legs. Unlike the Nilokeras, the Argyre has cameras for its main monitor mounted in its head.
Special Equipment and Features
The Argyre is able to create blade fields, "Beam Katana". Also it possesses energy joints allowing the Argyre's hands, arms, and torso to move three hundred and sixty degrees allowing for immense mobility, speed, and agility when using the blade field.
- 2 × Blade Field (Beam Katana)
- The Argyre's primary weapons are "Beam Katana" of plasma which emit extreme heat, enough to melt almost anything, giving the weapons an unparalleled piercing power. Primarily used for short-range combat, they can also be used as thrown projectiles but must be manually retrieved afterwards. Though carrying two of them, Vlad rarely uses more than one Beam Katana. Vlad is able to defend the Argyre by parrying the blades to prematurely detonate the explosives within HE rounds and deflect AP rounds due in part to the Liedenfrost Effect.
- The Katanas are emitted from hilts which are stored and deployed from the rails on each side of the skirt armor, which the Argyre grabs and wields with its hands. The Dioscuria utilizes a similar weapon, though in its case the blades are emitted directly from its hands.
Second Earth-Mars War
He arrives at an abandoned harbor temporarily being used by Inaho Kaizuka and everyone to rest and resupply. When approaching the defense perimeter he is carrying an Areion by its head as a shield. He then goes forth to destroy the Appaloosa Platoon; before he throws a Beam Katana at the bridge of an U.E. Amphibious Landing Craft, destroying it. Inaho confronts the Argyre in a KG-6 Sleipnir firing HE, then AP rounds at it while Calm Craftman gets into position to perform a pincer attack. Although it doesn't go as planned, Inaho holds off Vlad until Inko Amifumi hits the Argyre's head with shipping containers, sverely damaging the mecha. They try the technique again to no avail until Kaoru Mizusaki arrives in the UES Wadatsumi to fire upon the Argyre, buying enough time for the combatants to escape, leaving Vlad behind. (AZ: "Point of No Return")
Back at Castle Cruhteo Vlad orders for his Argyre to be repaired immediately, surprising Slaine Troyard when he noticed that the Argyre's head was damaged. Vlad then asked Slaine why he is there, the latter explaining that he was punished by Count Cruhteo for speaking out of turn. Vlad looks down on Slaine as a Terran for wanting to distinguish himself even though Slaine just wants to find Princess Asseylum Vers Allusia.
The Argyre is air dropped by a Sky Carrier onto the Wadatsumi to destroy them in order to redeem his honor before the war ends. He destroys the Aldaniti Platoon and the ship's turrets while using the bridge as a shield before Inaho arrives in a Sleipnir with Reactive Armor equipped. Inaho uses the reactive armor to inhibit the Argyre's Beam Katana from damaging his unit, and to allow him to grab onto the Argyre. After asking the bridge to tilt the ship, he drags the Argyre into the ocean. While doing so he drops his unit's backpack and ejects, thus when the Argyre is pulled into the water, the Beam Katanas vaporize the water at high pressures, causing a steam explosion that destroys the Argyre, killing Vlad. (AZ: "Phantom of the Emperor")
Notes & Trivia
- Argyre is a mythical island in Greek Mythology, it's the island of silver (which explains the Kataphrakt's coloration). The "Argyre" may otherwise be named after Argyre Planitia, a plain located within the impact basin Argyre in the southern highlands of Mars. While the Argyre Quadrangle is a group of gullies.
- The sound that the Argyre makes when attacking is the same sound as the a siege tank deploying in the real-time strategy game, StarCraft.
- The general form and color scheme of the Argyre greatly resembles the AMX-004 Qubeley from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and ZZ Gundam